You are already familiar with the basics of how to play solitaire. Perhaps you have even tried playing a couple of games. However, why is it that you aren’t winning? Solitaire just like other games, it often takes time for you to sharpen your skills. It’s one of the few games that you can master overnight, but it may take several tries for you to become an actual master at it. This challenge is what makes Klondike solitaire so interesting. After all, what fun is there playing a game that you will ace right away.
Knowing how to play solitaire and winning at solitaire are two different things. The game requires you to be tactical, sharp, and fast. To increase your chances of winning, here are three strategies you should follow.
1. Start the Game with the Following Moves
Most players who are new to solitaire often play the wrong moves at the beginning that end up making the game more complicated and harder later on. If you want to win, here are the moves you should make when starting the game;
- Create 4 Piles of Sequential Cards based on Suit
- Always Keep an Eye on the Waste Pile
- Not Unless You have a King, Don’t Free slots on the Tableau
- Remember that Foundation Piles should Always Start with 2s and Aces
- If you have more than a single option, always flip your downward facing cards. Doing this allows you to reach more cards in the deck by manipulating the waste piles and increasing your chances of winning.
- Should you get multiple plays, focus on your biggest stack of downcards. Instead of distributing your multiple plays on different stacks, focus on the biggest stack with more downcards.
- Be very careful with mid-range cards. Another common mistake new solitaire players make is playing mid-range cards too quickly. These cards include those from 5 to 9. What happens when you do so is that you get jammed and unable to play lower numbers. To move solitaire cards like a pro, don’t be too generous with mid-range cards. Blend things up a little bit. The only exception to avoiding this move is when you intend to reveal a downcard.
- Create an open board and make the same suit piles. If you have seen experts play then you will wonder why they do this. The reason behind this move is to avoid getting trapped. Most of you may find yourself trapped with a column that you can’t move. Note that if you have an open board with the same suit piles, you can easily transfer them and solve stalled games.
- In case a black queen, red jack, or black 7 is blocking your downcards, you can always move a red or black king to fill a free slot. This will allow you to stack all those cards on the king.
- Whenever you run out of moves, always flip through your waste pile. If you are lucky, you could free up a king or make a score and make more impact in your game.
- Playing the game fast and accurately. Using the above tips, you can be assured of winning timed solitaire. Knowing which cards to play and where to play them gives you the upper hand in completing the foundation piles before running out of time.
- Instead of focusing on a single big pile, distribute your moves evenly on all tableau piles. One thing you need to know is that the smaller the pile the more options you have got. It will be easier for you to reveal downcards and manipulate the waste pile.
- Whenever you are filling a space, keep color in mind.
You will always win Klondike solitaire faster when you stack cards into sequential piles based on their suit. This strategy is very useful especially when you are playing timed solitaire and don’t have a lot of wiggle room to second guess moves. Kindly note that different card combinations affect the effectiveness of this strategy. For example, you can only make piles using cards of alternating colors and on empty columns, only a king can be placed.
As you may already know, the waste pile are cards that have no place in the tableau and are laid face up. What most beginners do is pay more attention to the stock pile and ignore the waste pile. This mistake can make you lose most of your games. By paying a keen eye to the waste pile, you will have access to more information that will assist in making strategic card movements.
Let’s use the following scenario. In your first pile, you only have a red 5 and there is a black 6 in another column. There is a blank spot on the side and you can’t put any other card other than a king. Fortunately, because you had already spotted a king on the waste pile, you can move that card to the empty slot and continue stacking.
By now, you should be aware of the important role kings play in Solitaire. Though it can be tempting, never free open slots on the tableau, not unless you have a king in the tableau or waste pile. This will only limit your movement options in the future.
As mentioned earlier, when playing Klondike solitaire, you have to be sharp and fast. Going back to the rules, do you remember which cards should start on the foundation piles? As you start the game, you should always look for Aces and move them to the 4 scoring piles on the right. Follow these with matching 2s.
The advantage of doing this, in the beginning, is that it ensures smooth progression of the game in the foundation piles. And because 2s can’t allow other cards to be put on top of it during gameplay, failure to start your game this way will make it harder for you to play other cards because they will be blocked by the 2s.
2. Train Yourself on How to Swiftly Free Down cards and Move Stacks
These strategies come in very handy during gameplay and can make it easier for you to win. Let’s look deeper at how you can move stacks like a pro.
3. Know How to Make Winning Scores
Having covered how you should start the game and how to move your stacks, what follows is making winning scores. There are plenty of techniques you can use to score effectively to win. Examples include;
The Bottom Line
As we wrap up our guide on 3 easy ways to win solitaire, it is crucial that players understand that the recipe for victory differs from one person to another. From the above strategies, implement as many as you can in your gameplay and only use those that work best for you. Not all games of solitaire are winnable. Playing the game is supposed to be fun and not to give you headaches. So, when you are jammed, switch strategies and know when you have exhausted all options.